Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Good Bean

Garbanzo bean, chickpea, chi chi bean; no matter what you call it it's a staple of a good vegetarian diet the world over. This versatile bean is packed with protein and fiber and is low in fat.

Unlike falafel, which is a deep fried chickpea conglomeration that sits in my stomach like a spicy brick, the Good Bean chickpeas are slow roasted and easy to digest. It's perfect for traveling or a protein pick-me-up between meals.

The first thing that I noticed when I opened a bag was the size and shape of the chickpeas. They were much smaller than the ones I was used to eating. I did some research on the Good Bean site and discovered that they use a different variety of chickpea called the "Desi" chickpea. This variety has three times the fiber and half the carbohydrates as the ubiquitous (vocab points!) "Kabuli" chickpeas which are the variety used in cans. Another advantage unique only to the Desi variety is that they have a low glycemic index so they are suitable for diabetics.

The second thing I noticed was that the beans looked like they may break my teeth upon impact. They looked very similar to the shape and size of dried chickpeas that you would buy for soaking. I tossed back a few and was relieved to bite into a very tender and delicious treat. I was hooked!

I have tried three of the four flavors: cinnamon, sea salt, and cracked pepper. My favorite was the sea salt.  I'm looking forward to trying the smoky chili lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment